It's not just about vaccinations...
We believe that pets are most comfortable being cared for in their home.
Therefore, our focus is providing excellent care and medicine in your home , as much as possible. We will perform our exam and treatments in your pet's favorite location in your home.
We are your pet's advocate to provide you with accurate information concerning your pet's needs so that you can make informed choice for your pet.
Following a unique approach to total pet wellness, House Paws veterinarians and our dedicated staff can provide a full range of veterinary services in your home (excluding x-rays and surgery) from birth to end of life for your furry family members! Consistent, Affordable and Convenient, our services include:
|Senior wellness exams
||Cold Laser rehabilitation therapy for chronic and acute conditions
||Ultrasound imaging diagnostics
|Full diagnostic laboratory services - testing for animal and any available test.
||Lyme disease screening
|Home Again Microchipping - ISO Compliant
||Full pharmacy with us in the vehicle and we also mail directly to you.
|Vaccines - for new clients, we require an exam performed by us before vaccinating any pet.
||Travel certificates - US and International
|Non-Emergency sicks calls (of course)
||Euthanasia and cremation
|Annual comprehensive physical examinations
||Senior pet care
|Parasite prevention - Deworming, Flea and Tick Prevention
||Hospice and End of Life Consulting
|Puppy and Kitten Care
||Surgery and Dental Procedures
We provide comprehensive Veterinary Care for:
- Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Ferrets
We will refer your pet to the best veterinary specialists in the area, should we feel that is best for you pet or farm animal.
Hospitalization and Surgical Services
- We now have an approved hospitalization and surgical facility at our hospital: House Paws Animal Hospital Lovettsville at 2 E Pennsylvania Avenue Lovettsville, VA 20180.
- The facility is equipped with an isoflurane anesthesia machine, fluid pumps, dental scaler and polisher, recovery cages and all the needed equipment for various routine procedures.
- We require that pets should:
- receive pre-operative bloodwork to screen for conditions that might lead to increased risk under anesthesia.
- receive pre and post operative pain medication.
- receive IV catheters for fluid therapy before and during surgery.
- If you wish, we can also refer you to a practice in your area.
- We still believe that some surgeries should only be performed by specialists.
At House Paws, we take pride in being your pet family member’s veterinarian and see our role as an integral part in providing healthcare to your pet. The primary focus of our practice is centered on offering a professional level of high quality care. In addition to these professional services, we do stock numerous forms of pharmaceuticals, vaccines and products for your pets.
We carry these items in our practice primarily for two reasons:
(1) Many items are animal specific formulations or for animal only usage - often these products aren’t carried locally by traditional brick and mortar pharmacies and (2) there is a convenience in having items readily available rather than sending our clients to another location just to sit and wait for prescriptions to be filled elsewhere.
House Paws takes measures to ensure the vaccines, medications and products we provide to our patients are properly handled and stored from initial manufacture until they reach our facility. The items we offer from our hospital supply are obtained either directly from their manufacturing source or via our relationships with selected major distributors which track these items to verify their integrity.
We will not provide prescription medications for patients when they have not been evaluated by our hospital. This means we do not fill medication requests for problems which have not been diagnosed by our doctors.
We can not fill prescription medications for animals which are not current patients of our animal hospital --even when those prescriptions are written by other veterinarians or veterinary hospitals as this a violation of Virginia Law. Although some veterinary practices may fill prescriptions for non-patients this is technically a violation of both Board of Pharmacy and Veterinary Medical Board statutes. We simply will not violate regulatory statues.
Written Prescriptions Are Provided At Your Request
We’re fully aware there are many Internet sites and catalogue houses which sell pharmaceutical products directly to consumers. Contrary to slick print and television advertising marketing touting pet medications available at less than half the price from the veterinarian, this veterinary office generally offers full-sized packaged medications (Hartguard, Frontline, Revolution, Rimadyl) for similar prices – in fact, we might be even lower when company “bonus doses” or manufacturer rebates are taken into account.
It is our practice policy to provide written prescriptions to our clients at their request. We do not charge a fee for writing prescriptions for our patients. We do, however wish for your decision on where to have your pet’s prescription filled to be an informed one, and feel it is part of our responsibility as your pet’s doctor to advise you consider the following:
1. We will provide a written prescription on request provided we have recently examined your pet and the particular medication or product is appropriate. The time frame of ‘recent examination’ is at the doctor’s discretion but will never exceed a maximum of one year from your pets’ last annual examination. The written prescription will be provided directly to you during the house call or ask it be mailed to your home.
2. If you choose Internet or catalogue sources, we advise you to copy your script and mail them the original. We recommend this process for the same reason we will only provide written prescriptions to you on our script pads and why we do not respond to fax requests or telephone calls from INTERNET or catalogue companies – We require our physical prescription form to be used so it can be traced back and authenticated in the event medication error, failure or reaction occurs.
3. Please double check to ensure your prescription is sent, filled, labeled, shipped and used correctly. Carefully select your choice of pharmacy including thoroughly research for disciplinary board of pharmacy actions.
4. Some guarantees made by manufacturers regarding their products are null and void (not honored) if their products are purchased through non-approved channels. This includes the guarantee reimbursement for heartworm / intestinal parasite claims if your pet contracts heartworms or specific parasites while on prevention.
5. Some Internet based pharmacies and catalogue companies have been repeatedly reprimanded by the FDA and State Boards of Pharmacy for violating prescribing procedure. Several well known companies have been cited and fined repeatedly for the same violations in the same states or several states!
6. Pharmaceuticals manufactured and labeled for use in other countries (Australia, New Zealand) have been illegally diverted and sold through some INTERNET sources and catalogs in the United States. In addition, counterfeit medications, preventatives and product have been produced and sold to unsuspecting consumers. The FDA-CVM has documented these problems with the use of some Internet sources:
Purchasing Pet Drugs Online: Buyer Beware